Yoga for Strength and Stability
TIME + LOCATION
ABOUT THE EVENT
Strength: the quality of being powerful, vigorous and courageous
Stability: the ability to maintain steadiness when disrupted or to restore equilibrium after a change
One of the primary goals of yoga is to create stability. Through the practice of yoga, we harness the body and breath as a path to equanimity. To bring balance to a traditional yoga practice, experienced yoga students can benefit from adding a strength building focus to increase stability and reduce the risk of injury. Learn to incorporate natural and functional movement into your yoga practice to stabilize your joints and support a full range of movement. You will discover that as your range of motion increases, developing strength will support that greater flexibility and improve stability.
In this weekend workshop, you will learn:
- The key natural movements worth adding to your daily yoga practice.
- The importance of ground movement for building hip, core and shoulder strength.
- How to incorporate multi-directional movement to support joint health.
- To improve your balance using a slightly raised height (2x4 beam).
- Transitions to get you up and down from the ground without using your hands (alternatives to down dog and “do a vinyasa”)
- Energy efficient techniques so that your practice increases safety and enhances your vitality.
- The principles of neurodevelopmental sequencing that can provide a logical progression of movement strategies.
- What yoga philosophy teaches us about strength and stability
- How breathing supports steadiness in movement, posture and relaxation.
- How to integrate techniques from other mindful modalities and make them yoga.
Who is this workshop for? Experienced yoga students and yoga teachers ready to expand on traditional yoga. This workshop is not recommended for those with current injuries.
Prerequisite: Minimum 1 year of yoga practice.
Dates: Sat Nov 16 1:00 to 7:00 & Sun Nov 17 9:00 to 3:00
Please bring: Circular yoga mat preferred. Available from online yoga retailers such as yogaaccessories.com. Or bring 3 standard yoga mats.
$275 by Friday October 18, 2019;